Thursday, November 11, 2010

Comfort Food

The weather this fall has been glorious.
Today, however, was a bit dreary....perfect weather for some comfort food.

Today's comfort food: Corn Chowder and Butter Biscuits

This recipe is soooooooo easy and sooooooooo yummy...

Corn Chowder

5-8 potoatoes, peeled and cubed
1 onion, chopped
2 cups milk
2 1/2 cups water
1 stick of butter (I am sure you could do without the butter, but I add it because butter comforts my soul.)
3 cans creamed corn
Seasonings to taste (I add pepper, oregano, garlic salt, or whatever strikes my fancy for the day.)

Toss it all in the crockpot and cook on HIGH for about 5-6 hours. (after that time I turn the crockpot to warm, and the longer the soup sits on warm, the thicker it will get)


Butter Biscuits
3 cups flour
4 1/2 tsp. baking powder
2 T. sugar
3/4 tsp. cream of tartar
3/4 c. butter (again, my soul is comforted)
1 egg, beaten
1 c. milk

Combine flour, baking powder, sugar and cream of tartar. Cut in butter until it resembles coarse crumbs. Add milk and egg - stirring quickly and briefly. Roll out and cut OR place in a greased pie plate. Cook 12-15 minutes at 450 degrees.


Let me know if you try these recipes....my kids LOVE them!