Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Cast your burden

As a pastor's wife I have the unique privilege to know the specific burdens of many people, to pray for these burdens, and to hopefully encourage those who are burdened. It is a daunting task at times. Life is hard. Walking through life with Jesus at your side helps bearing burdens more "bearable', but it doesn't take those struggles away. There are times that I am overwhelmed by the burdens that others are bearing......not to mention my own personal struggles.

In my Bible reading I came to this verse:
"Cast thy burden upon the Lord, and He shall sustain thee...."
Psalm 55:22a
I looked up the word "CAST".....
Webster defines it as: to cause to move or send forth by throwing
I then looked up the word "SUSTAIN".....
it is defined as: to give support or relief to also to keep up, to prolong
In other words, when I have a burden I should THROW it on Jesus, and HE will keep me going. He will give me support and relief. Sounds wonderful, doesn't it???? YES!!!!!!!!!!!
BUT -
How many times have I prayed and GIVEN my burdens to the Lord, only to get up from my knees, PICK UP MY BURDEN and continue to carry it with me? I do this so often. I ask the Lord to bear the load, but I WON'T LET GO OF IT. How foolish I am. I get tired, overwhelmed and stressed because I won't allow God to do what He says He will do. Today, let us all purpose to cast our burdens on Jesus - give them to the Lord - and leave them there. Remember the hymn?
"Leave them there....Leave them there....
take your burdens to the Lord and leave them there....."
"Burden bearing" is a part of life, but today I have decided to not only take my burdens to the Lord, but I am also going to leave them there!!
(I have also decided to bookmark this post, because I KNOW I am going to need to remind myself of this almost daily!!!)
Have a great day!!