Thursday, November 19, 2009

Mini-Blinds

I strongly dislike mini-blinds. I don't like for my kids to say 'hate' about anything (except the devil....we hate the devil!!!), so I won't say 'I hate mini blinds', but if I could say it, I would! Let's back up a bit first......

We are still in the process of putting together the house we bought this summer....window treatments (still don't have those), rugs (still working on those), etc.... Most of the windows in the house needed mini-blinds, so I buy one each week. My husband, who is incredibly busy and who has done every.single.thing to make this house wonderful, has installed each one that I have bought. Today, however, I decided that I would help by installing the mini-blind in the girls' room. Please note that I am NOT handy with tools. I am NOT mechanically inclined. I am VERY MUCH a girl when it comes to that sort of thing. Phillips vs. Flat screwdriver.....all Greek to me. I have tried to learn a bit so that I can be somewhat of a help to my husband, but not much has sunk in through all this hair on my head. ( I think all that hairspray I used in the 90's burnt up some precious brain cells. :)) Anyway, since I had watched my husband install several blinds, I thought that this would be a no-brainer.....'no problem', I thought, 'won't Andy be surprised'. Well, he was.....

It started out alright and then quickly went downhill. By the time I was done (I was done, the mini blind was NOT) I was crying, all sweaty and sooooooooooooo frustrated. I had wanted to help so badly and I ended up making more work for my already busy husband. He was so kind. He praised me for trying. Bless his heart. I know he wanted to kill me. I am sure he was thinking "DUH!!! It is a MINI-BLIND not a rocket....how hard can it be???" For me, oh so hard. He encouraged me to keep trying. We'll see. :)

No moral of this story, really, just to say that I am blessed to have a handy husband. One who doesn't mind cleaning up my messes and fixing my mistakes. He has had a lot of practice.

2 comments:

Mrs. Julie Fink said...

I don't like mini-blinds either, but I do like helpful husbands :).

Unknown said...

Oh yes... been there, except my episode involved power tools. YIKES!

I remember hearing Mrs. Debbie Young say that she put up a chair rail in her bedroom all by herself. WOW... shees my hero!